|Innovating The Next Big Thing||April 20, 2015|
• Earth in the Balance: Climate & Ecology
• Solar and Wind Energy
• Fuel Cells & the Hydrogen Economy
• Nuclear Power
• Fossil Fuels
• Bio & Alternative Fuels
• Geothermal, Hydro & Tidal Power
• Energy Insights
• Energy Events
• Reader Reactions
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
• Alt Energy
• Ghost City
Barry's Book Shop
Global Warming Visuals Often Distort Scientific Data: Graphics used in the climate change debate are often manipulated to exaggerate or minimize the significance of information
Mar 3, 2008 – By Diane Carol Bast, Heartland Institute
A new study on the use of visual exhibits in the global warming debate--a tactic employed regularly by former Vice President Al Gore in his film, An Inconvenient Truth--reveals how graphs, charts, and other images can be accurate and still skew data to support a partisan view.
“Understanding Visual Exhibits in the Global Warming Debate” notes graphics are an integral component of the national discussion on climate change. They convey vast amounts of complex information in a way that is easily understood ... and easily manipulated.
Author Ronald J. Rychlak notes, “Advocates have ‘packaged’ their evidence with charts, graphs, and other visual exhibits designed to have maximum impact with minimal effort on the part of the public. The manipulation of visuals--bar and line graphs, pie charts, even photographs--has proven to be a highly effective way to offer up scary scenarios ... and it is easily done.
“The differences in layout can render an exhibit either informative or misleading,” Rychlak writes. “For that reason, court proceedings subject exhibits to a determination of whether they are probative or merely prejudicial.” Rychlak is MDLA Professor of Law and associate dean for academic affairs at the University of Mississippi School of Law.
No similar standards govern the visuals used in the global warming debate. Climate change alarmists often misrepresent data, misleading the public and describing a “reality” unsupported by science. Visuals have been used, for example, to make minuscule increases in temperature or greenhouse gas emissions look dramatic, or to make polar bears appear “stranded” on ice floes. Such tactics do little to further the process of honest inquiry, Rychlak notes.
“If we are to make wise decisions, we have to understand the evidence,” said Rychlak. “However, as words can be misused by an advocate, charts, graphs and even photos can be misused by their creators. This can lead to confusion in a time when clarity is essential.”
“Understanding Visual Exhibits in the Global Warming Debate,” Heartland Policy Study No. 115, is available for free online at http://www.heartland.org/article.cfm?artId=22829. The printed report is available for $10 by calling The Heartland Institute at 312/377-4000.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Earth in the Balance: Climate & Ecology articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 4/17 Intelligent Energy News: Intelligent Energy Closes Acquisition of BIC Assets – Significant Forward Step in the Development of Embedded Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technology
• 4/16 DOE News: Energy Department Announces New Awards for Advanced Nuclear Energy Development
• 4/15 DOE News: Energy Department Recognizes San Antonio Area Partners for Advancing Energy Efficiency
• 4/14 HyperSolar News: HyperSolar Scientific Advisor Speaks on Solar Water Splitting at Major Exhibition
• 4/14 DOE News: Energy Department Recognizes Fort Worth for Leadership in Advancing Energy Efficiency
• 4/13 FuelCell Energy News: Leading European Fuel Cell Industry Association Appoints Andreas Froemmel of FuelCell Energy Solutions to Executive Board
• 4/9 FuelCell Energy News: FuelCell Energy Solutions to Display World's Largest Fuel Cell Stack at Upcoming Hannover Messe Trade Show
• 4/9 DOE News: U.S. Department of Energy Awards $200 Million for Next- Generation Supercomputer at Argonne National Laboratory
• 4/6 DOE News: EPA and DOE Honor 2015 Energy Star Partners of the Year for Leadership on Energy Efficiency, Acting on Climate
• 4/2 FuelCell Energy News: FuelCell Energy Applauds Issuance of Executive Order for Sustainability Planning by the U.S. Federal Government
• 4/1 FuelCell Energy News: Pepperidge Farm Strengthens Its Recipe for Sustainability, Adding Second Megawatt-Class Fuel Cell to Flagship Bakery
• 3/31 Intelligent Energy News: Intelligent Energy Appoints Garrett Forde as Chief Operating Officer
• 3/31 HyperSolar News: HyperSolar Appoints Dr. Yat Li as Scientific Advisor
• 3/30 RSIS Report: Negotiating Issue: Preventing Proliferation Assistance between Iran and other Proliferant States or Entities
• 3/27 Intelligent Energy News: Consortium led by Intelligent Energy to deliver zero-emission range-extended light commercial vehicles for fleets
• 3/27 DOE News: Statement from U.S. Energy Secretary Moniz on Mexico's Greenhouse Gas Emissions Targets
• 3/26 DOE News: Energy Department Offers Conditional Commitment to Alcoa to Support Manufacturing of Aluminum for Automotive Sector
• 3/24 DOE News: Department of Energy, Department of the Interior and Army Corps of Engineers Renew Five-Year Partnership to Advance Hydropower
• 3/24 DOE News: Moving Forward to Address Nuclear Waste Storage and Disposal
• 3/24 RSIS Report: Adequate Verification Under a Comprehensive Iran Nuclear Deal
• 3/23 DOE News: Energy Department Recognizes Cleveland Partners for Leadership in Saving Energy
• 3/23 DOE News: Generation IV International Forum Framework Agreement Extended to 2025
• 3/18 Intelligent Energy News: Intelligent Energy Holdings plc - Appointment of new Head of Investor Relations
• 3/18 DOE News: Energy Department Selects 11 Tribal Communities to Deploy Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Technologies
• 3/17 HyperSolar News: HyperSolar Files Patent for High Voltage Solar Cell Component for Water-Splitting Hydrogen Process
• 3/12 Intelligent Energy News: Intelligent Energy extends capability with new high performance 100kW automotive fuel cell architecture
• 3/12 DOE News: Energy Department Releases New Wind Report, Examines Future of Industry
• 3/11 DOE News: A Statement from Under Secretary for Science and Energy Franklin Orr on New Leadership at PNNL
• 3/5 FuelCell Energy News: Photo Release -- Competitive Carbon Reduction Solution Advancing With Affordable and Ultra-Clean Fuel Cells
• 3/4 DOE News: U.S.-China Clean Energy Research Center Issues Solicitation to Address the Energy-Water Nexus
• 2/27 FuelCell Energy News: FuelCell Energy Completes Sale of University Micro-grid Project to NRG Yield
• 2/26 DOE News: DOE/NE Sponsors a U.S. – Kazakhstan Civilian Nuclear Energy Workshop at Idaho National Laboratory
• 2/26 RSIS Report: Future Directions in the DPRK’S Nuclear Weapons Program: Three Scenarios for 2020
• 2/25 FuelCell Energy News: FuelCell Energy, Inc. Announces First Quarter Financial Results Conference Call on March 11, 2015 at 10 A.M. Eastern Time
• 2/25 Ballard News: Ballard Reports Q4, Full Year 2014 Results & 2015 Outlook
• 2/25 DOE News: Energy Department to Help Tribes Advance Clean Energy Projects and Increase Resiliency
• 2/24 Plug Power News: PLUG POWER TO ANNOUNCE 2014 FOURTH QUARTER AND YEAR END RESULTS ON MARCH 17, 2015
• 2/24 Ceramic Fuel Cells News: Termination of Bergen Agreement
• 2/23 Ballard News: Ballard Inks Automotive and Non-Automotive Technology Solutions Contracts
• 2/23 Ballard News: Ballard Closes Technology Solutions Transaction With Volkswagen Group
• 2/20 Ballard News: Ballard CEO to Present at 27th Annual ROTH Conference in Dana Point, CA
• 2/20 DOE News: Statement by DOE Spokesperson on Secretary Moniz’s Travel to Geneva
• 2/20 RSIS Report: Pakistan’s Chashma Plutonium Separation Plant: Possibly Operational
• 2/19 RSIS Report: ISIS Analysis of IAEA Iran Safeguards Report
• 2/18 HyperSolar News: HyperSolar Researcher Wei Cheng to Join University of Iowa Team
• 2/17 Ballard News: Ballard To Supply Fuel Cell Modules For FTA-Funded Bus Deployments in the U.S.
• 2/17 ITM Power News: RWE POWER-TO-GAS SYSTEM DELIVERED
• 2/15 DOE News: Energy Department Announces Five Year Renewal of Funding for First Energy Innovation Hub
• 2/13 DOE News: Three Military Bases Partner with Energy Department to Train Veterans for Solar Jobs
• 2/13 DOE News: Department of Energy Cites the University of California and Pacific Data Electric, Inc., for Worker Safety and Health Program Violations